Mrs Coyne and the Green Schools Committee organised a Day of Action for Thursday 30th May. Parents, grandparents, past pupils, members of our local community, staff and children all helped out on the day. It really was a fantastic success and we had great fun working together. Some of the work we carried out included:
- Identifying trees on our school grounds
- Planting a magnolia tree in our front field
- Planting pea plants, wildflowers, evergreen shrubs and Nasturtium
- Preparing and planting the school vegetable patch
- Planting begonias and marigolds
- Digging a trench and planting a hedgerow
- Planting our own oak and horse chestnut trees
- Working on our bug hotel
- Planting a willow tunnel
- Collecting litter from our school grounds and local area
As part of our Green Flag we hope to increase the bio diversity on our school grounds.
Thank you to Mrs Coyne for organising the day and to everyone who took part. A special thank you to our local Tidy Towns Committee. They presented us with a cheque for €700 which will be used towards a Litter Awareness campaign in our school.